Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A pain in my.... back; the miracle of today

About four days ago, I decided that I was too tight. Yes, tight. My hips, my quads, my glutes, my hams... everything felt as if it was a day after an intense workout. Yet, I hadn't worked out in quite a while.

With yoga stretches in mind, I began contorting my legs around my hips, stretching my legs upwards, downwards and backwards, I think eventually ending up in a sideways tangled dog position. In any case, it worked. I felt great and light that night.

The problem occurred when I woke up in the middle of the night, and eventually again the next day. I had a pain in my lower back.

The first day of pain was nagging. I went to the hot tub, which helped. The second day of pain was irritating. I applied cold and heat, and took some ibuprofen. The third day, today, was worrisome. What have I done?

I immediately started calling my insurance company, the nurse hotline, and doctors' offices. The nurse recommended I see a doctor in the next few days, because it sounded like something may be wrong with a disc. I called 5 doctors' offices, and no one could give me an appointment until mid-Dec. I tried to explain that I couldn't sit or walk and that I was in a lot of pain. Mid-December.

I decided to try to walk around the block to get some fresh air. I hobbled along at a slow pace, thinking of how it was getting worse, and now I even thought my lower back was gowing numb.

I came home, and looked on the internet for treatment options and possible scenarios. It hurt so badly that I tried a few different sitting and lying positions. I finally piled a bunch of cushions behind my back and under my buttocks. I continued searching for a doctor. Exhasperated, I did one of those sighs. One of those sighs that you breath out, make an annoying grunt, and lean back, rolling your eyes. When I extended backwards, I thought "wow, this feels kind of good." I pushed a bit more back, when Pop! With a loud popping sound in my back, I stopped. Afraid that if I moved the pain would be worse, I sat there for a second. I then stood up. I felt light. No pain! Everything felt wonderful. I bent over.. no problem!

Apparently, I'm cured. Thank goodness.

No comments: